Monday, December 10, 2012

Kasbergen Invasion of Oudewater, The Netherlands

This August we went on a 10-day trip to Holland for a Kasbergen family reunion!! The idea for the reunion had been circling for a couple of years, then a few of my dad's cousins from Holland decided to make it happen and it was a success! My Opa (my dad's dad) is from a family of 13 (he is lucky number 7) and 8 of the 9 living siblings were there with most of their families. Seeing my Opa with his brothers and sisters at the reunion was really, really touching...two of them live in the US, three in Canada and three in Holland and they were all there, together, to celebrate family. 

I can't believe it, but this was my 4th trip to Holland! I went for the first time with my grandparents in the summer of '95, then my whole family went for my dad's cousin's wedding the summer of 2000, and my sister, Jillian, and I went when we were on a Contiki trip during the summer of '05. I absolutely love this country, it is so beautiful and peaceful; it's definitely not hard to see why my grandparents are so proud of their homeland.  We enjoyed meeting family, catching up with family, taking bike rides, exploring the areas around us, drinking Heinekens, and most of all eating croquettes and patat frites, yuuuumy!! It was a long time to be away from the kids, but we knew they were in good hands with Paul's parents and sisters (thank you, thank you, thank you!!!), so we enjoyed the time away!

 Oudewater, Opa's hometown...


The whole trip was planned out wonderfully, we didn't waste any time and did a lot in 10 days!! I have to admit, I wasn't very good at taking pictures, but here is what I have :).

...we visited a dairy that had a robot milking machine.


...we took a boat ride along the canal.
Case, Carson, my dad, Tante Kara, Reese, Ome George and Ome Jack

 One of the stops on the canal ride.

 I loved all of the black and white houses!


...we went to the Gouda cheese market.


...we drove 2 hours to Friesland, a province of Holland, to see the house my mom's dad grew up in!


...we took a day trip to Amsterdam!!!
 Caitlin, Boomer and Allison



 Loved the Heineken factory!!!

 Ome Jack & Tante Ellie Mae

 Jillian and Caitlin

 Boomer, testing his beer pouring skills...

The crew!



Reunion day...

The siblings! My Opa, Tante Fein, Ome Jack, Tante Shawn, Tante Dora, Tante Reit, Tante Meis and Ome Leo.

Opa's children and grandchildren

The whole Kasbergen family!


The after party...!!! This was SO much fun, partying with our cousins; good times, good times!
Paul and Jeannine

Gera and Jos

Sjaak, Gera and Jos


To Tante Peaches (the bar across the street from the hotel) 
for just one more :)
Boomer, Case, Jillian, Allison, Paul, and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment